Friday, March 2, 2012

Enjoying the Ride

Sometimes, you have to put away the numbers and the training and schedule and just enjoy the ride. Yesterday was that day for me.

The recent early spring weather has kicked my allergies into high gear. This has left me feeling listless, tired, fatigued and generally unmotivated to hike my butt up on the saddle. It was an abnormally warm 70 degree 1st day of March and riding in shorts and short sleeves was enough to get me out.

Did I have my SRM recording all my ride, of course I did, but I really wasn't paying much attention to the numbers looking back at me on my Garmin. I just rode. I rode up the Blue Ridge Parkway, down into and around town. I stopped by Chainheart bike store to say hi and socialize a little bit. I was in no hurry, and had no intervals planned. It was nice!

I saw probably 35-40 other people just out enjoying the ride. No one else really seemed in a hurry and everyone had a smile on their face. It was during this time I was reminded of something very important, if you aren't enjoying yourself then what is the point. It was nice to turn off my brain, turn on my legs and just tune into my great fortune of being able to ride in one the greatest place on earth.

I am lucky that I was able to take the day in and remind myself that there will be plenty of time for intervals and "training". Sometimes, you just have to go out, breath deeply and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment